On June 23rd communities across the country will gather for their annual Street Feast. Street Feast is a neighbourhood street party that is hosted by you and your neighbours and repeated in communities all over Ireland at the same time. They are local lunches that can be held anywhere, out on the street; in a local park; in a field or in your front garden. It's all about getting people together to celebrate their local community, eat good food and strengthen community links.
Sounds like a great idea doesn't it, so how do you get involved I hear you say?? Well you have two options; you can either go to a local Street Feast or you can run your own. To find out if one is happening near you just have a look here.
Or better yet run your own, it's very simple to do and here are six reasons why you should:
- To celebrate our streets, cul-de-sacs, neighbourhoods & local communities.
- To support and shine a light on the communities, networks and organisations that are holding everything together.
- To have fun. To laugh. To stop for a moment. To open up and give-up our shyness for a day. It’s so much better with others…
- To encourage more life on the streets, feel safer and reduce loneliness and isolation.
- To share great local food, home-grown produce, cracking stories, bad jokes, practical skills, useful tools, different customs, common ground…
- To show what can be achieved when a small group of neighbours come together and try something special
To make running your own Street Feast as easy as possible the Street Feast crew have complied a guide full of tips, recipes and even sample posters and invitations. The guide is available here. Also make sure to register your Feast at streetfeast.ie - tell them where and why you are doing it and they will send you a party pack!