March 19, 2013

OCHA Teppanyaki & Sushi Bar

 

It was a busy bank holiday weekend this year with hens, outings and family dinners. It also meant a few chances to eat out ranging from McDonalds on the go (yes I freely admit to this!) to top notch dining in the Rustic Stone to a casual catch up in a newly discovered sushi bar. This new sushi bar was a discovery on my friend Maya's part who has the world's oddest hangover cravings claiming that only sushi would help!


OCHA Teppanyaki & Sushi Bar is a Japanese and Thai restaurant offering Sushi and Teppanyaki grill. It is is only a few minutes walk from Dundrum Shopping Centre and can be found on the main street opposite the Dundrum House Pub. The exterior is all dark wood while the interior is minimalist with low stools and soft lighting. A teppanyaki grill takes pride of place in one corner. Apparently this can seat up to 7/8 people and it would make a fantastic night out as I can imagine it is quite theatrical. It is something I will definitely be trying out in the future.



What I love most about restaurants such as Ocha, is that food like this can all be brought to the table at the one time or at various intervals whenever it ready. It is also perfect sharing food. Miso soup and Agedashi Tofu were the first dishes to arrive at the table. I love miso soup as a way to begin a meal such as this, as it is light but warming and gets you ready for the flavours that are going to happen. 

Miso Soup
The Agedashi Tofu was deep fried tofu steak lightly battered and served with soy sauce. The tofu was melt in the mouth and the batter was lovely and light. I grew up thinking tofu was awful but have since been converted thanks to restaurants such as Ocha and Musashi.

Agedashi Tofu
Next to arrive was the Sashimitake.This was a ten piece platter of raw fish which included Tuna, Salmon, Seabass, Crabstick and Prawn. The fish was fresh and the seabass was a revelation as I have never had it raw before.

Sashimitake

Up next was the Norimaki choice - a California Roll which was made with crab stick, avocado, cucumber & sweet vinegar rice. It had a vivid orange coating of what I assume was fish roe which made it visually appealing.

California Roll
California Roll up close and personal!
After all this Maya's sushi cravings hadn't been sated so we shared another Sashimitake and some Sake Nigiri - Salmon Sushi which did the trick. At this point you would think I was nearing the end of the review but in fact I ate in this restaurant twice on the one day. I met the boyfriend soon after and was raving about the food I had just eaten. He was already hungry and now he was hungry for Asian food so we went back!! I got a few funny looks from the waiters but sure they probably just thought I just really liked sushi. For this next meal we ordered a Chicken Pad Thai which was made with flat rice noodles, stir fried mixed vegetables and fish-tamarind sauce. This was different to the usually Thai ones I have had as it had a more sweet and sour style feel to it but it was still a good, filling Pad Thai.

Chicken Pad Thai
We also ordered some more Norimaki of California Rolls and some Tuna Rolls which consisted of raw tuna fish & sweet vinegar rice. 

Tuna Roll

Now I don't proclaim to be a sushi expert having only really gotten into it in the last few years but I know what I like and I really enjoyed my two meals here! Ocha offers filling, fresh and healthy food at an affordable price. The service was friendly and efficient and it was a very comfortable place to spend a rainy Sunday. The only thing I was disappointed about was the drink menu which just offered red and white wine. There wasn't a hint of sake or plum wine on it. I really hope this place does well and that people visit here even though it is a little outside the main centre. Walk that extra two minutes and give it a go!

The first meal with Maya cost €42.50 while the second meal cost €27. Check out their website here and find them on Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment