January 12, 2013

Union Square

Union Square is a special sort of place and has over the past few months become one of my very favourite restaurants to visit for lunch, brunch or just a cup of tea and cake. I grew up very close to Terenure and actually never knew this space existed as it was always behind closed gates. The space has since been utterly transformed, and the first thing you notice is the lovely courtyard filled with tables, pokkadot tablecloths and lots of colourful plants. On entering the restaurant the theme is continued with lots of quirky furniture and vintage style items. Clearly though the first thing I noticed was the old gold hostess trolley which was piled high with cakes!


Since I discovered Union Square, I have eaten here many times and with every member of my family. They have all loved it, even my brother who at 6 foot 4, looks amusing while drinking tea out of a china cup! The very first time I ate here was when my mother and I left it very late to get food and turned up at about 4.30 thinking we could still get some lunch. The staff were in the process of closing up as the venue had been booked out for an event that evening. We must have looked extremely hungry as they very kindly allowed us in as long as were happy to just order sandwiches. We decided to give it a go and were treated to some fabulous sandwiches of ham and artichoke on focaccia bread and goats cheese and beetroot on ciabatta.


Since then I have tried a couple of their other sandwiches, the poached eggs with smoked salmon and the french toast with berries. All of it has been fresh, filling and tasty.


Maybe it's me, but it seems impossible to leave the place without having some cake. All the cakes come with fresh cream and a small bowl of berry coulis. My favourite is their carrot cake which is so moist and moreish though I wouldn't say no to a slice of their lemon and poppy seed cake or anything else for that matter!


Once you have finished eating take a trip to Wilson & Co which is attached to Union Square and is a small paradise filled with lots of wonderful items. Last time I came away with a beautiful cake server so beware you will want to buy something once you are in there! Apart from breakfast and lunch, Union Square is open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and do a three course menu for €25 all night long. Also for a different night out Union Square hold plays which are €25 for the show, dinner and wine. My mother has been to this with her friends and says it is a fantastic night out. So even if you just go for a slice of cake and coffee or feel like taking in some culture make sure you put Union Square on your list of places to visit this 2013.

Union Square is based at 9-13 Terenure Road North, Dublin 6 and is also part of Mayfield Deli and Bakery. You can find them on Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment